Sunday, January 17, 2010

Fish out of water

Attending a Latin Catholic Mass has encouraged me to explore other cultures. Today I attended the Sunday mass at the Cathedral Basilica of Saint Joseph in downtown San Jose and then was invited to go to lunch to what I consider the best Mexican food I have ever had.

My initial thought before going to the mass was its just going to be another church service only just in Spanish. But contrary to popular belief, the passion of all the people attending and of the priest is what made this experience so unforgettable. Everyone in attendance was dressed up in all formal attire, even the children, and nobody talked while the priest was talking, showing the most respect in church I have ever seen. I also thought I was going to sit by myself, being an outsider and everything, but since the service was so packed I got to sit in between a 50 year old dad and his family of one son and two daughters. His kids kept looking at me, wondering why I was there, but before mass started the dad, Michael, asked why I was attending, and when I told him I don’t speak Spanish, he asked it in English, and I told him what my assignment was.

After mass was over and the stampede of people were trying to get out of the cathedral, Michael asked if I would like to know where the real Mexican food is. So I called my brothers and they met me at El Tlaquepaque off Willow Street in San Jose. I introduced them to Michael and his family and we sat next to him while we all had lunch together. All of us agreed it was the best Mexican food we had ever had, then again we were all white. When Michael and his family got up to leave, I said thank you, and he said see you next Sunday. I just might go back and do it all over again next Sunday.

Later after I woke up from my four hour nap, I told my brother what happened, cause that’s what we do, tell each other everything and I found out some of them go to the Sunday night mass. They were very interested in what I had to say because they understand the seriousness that is going to Saint Joseph, and were glad I got the experience I did. They invited me to go to their “spot” after church, apparently everyone that goes to this church has a spot to go to afterwards. I have to say this was definitely one of the greatest assignments I’ve ever done, it truly opened up my eyes to a completely different lifestyle that I didn’t know existed.

No comments:

Post a Comment